A family was hospitalized with a rare parasite after eating bear meat

A family was hospitalized with a rare parasite after eating bear meat

summary
A family was hospitalized in the USA after eating undercooked black bear meat. The group was infected with trichinosis, a rare parasite.

Black bear

Photo: Freeppik/Vladimirchich

A family has been taken to hospital after contracting trichinosis, a rare type of worm. During a family gathering for residents of South Dakota in the United States, the group ate black bear meat that had been preserved in the refrigerator for 45 days.

A report issued by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) stated that Land It was accessible and provides details of the case. Of the nine people who attended the barbecue, eight consumed the meat and six were hospitalized with worms.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, cases of human trichinosis in the United States are rare and usually acquired through consumption of wild game meat. The case that the agency published at the end of May occurred in July 2022.

The meat was grilled with vegetables and served rare. Among the infected family members, two people who ate only vegetables were infected with the parasite. The group took strong deworming medication and were monitored in hospital for a few days. Everyone has recovered now.


Freeze-resistant larvae have been found in leftover meat from meals for more than 15 weeks. To prevent trichinosis, meat should be cooked to an internal temperature greater than 165°F (about 74°C).

Source: Redacao Terra

See also  Discover the island of São Paulo, which does not receive visitors because of its control by snakes

You May Also Like

About the Author: Lucas Moreno

"Proud explorer. Freelance social media expert. Problem solver. Gamer."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *